CP164 : Tools and Facilities
The PCs in the public labs can be used by you for your assignments. We use the Python programming language and the Eclipse / PyDev IDE (Integrated Development Environment). We will provide you with more information about the computing facilities in your first lab.
Python is a programming language used extensively on the World Wide Web. Eclipse is an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) program. Together with the PyDev plug-in it eases the task of writing and executing programs written in Python. Python, Eclipse, and PyDev are all freely available from the Internet, and we provide instructions for downloading and installing them in the Resources section of this page.
You are responsible for storing all your assignment and lab work on your own floppy disks, memory sticks, or other media. We strongly suggest that you keep at least two copies of your work at all times, for floppy disks and memory sticks can fail, or be lost.
- Software Installation
- Instructions for installing CP164 course software at home.
- Using Eclipse / PyDev
- An introduction to creating projects in Eclipse / PyDev.
- PyDev Problems
- Some typical problems when using PyDev.
- A Free Textbook
- How to Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python: a free textbook available for downloading.
- Python Library Reference
- This library reference manual documents Python's standard library, as well as many optional library modules.
- Style Guide for Python Code
- A style guide for Python from the creator of Python.
- The Python wiki.